For Japanese citizens, living in Canada means changing their lifestyle dramatically. They could have advantages that range from travelling quietly in public transport, having access to buying a home which cost is relative to the quality of the city, accessible medical services, excellent educational centers, and prestigious universities.
Moreover, you could enjoy beautiful natural landscapes, clean air and learn to relate to different cultures thanks to the diversity of immigrants in the country.
Without a doubt, it is the ideal country if you want to move from Japan.
But for a Japanese to move, you must first solve different issues such as: where to live in Canada? How will you generate income to support your family? Where are your children going to study?
For this reason, it is always recommended that you first visit Canada as a tourist. That way you can evaluate the possibilities that the country has for you. However, you will need a travel authorization to enter Canada. Also known as an eTA Canada.
What is an eTA to Canada?
ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) is an electronic visa permit that links directly to your passport. There is no need to print it out. ETA is valid for 5 years from the issuing date, or until your passport expires.
The processing time takes up to 72 hours, though usually, eTA to Canada is approved within a couple of minutes. The costs are low, and that is only 49 Euro.
This e-visa permit is a multiple-entry visa, which means that you can visit Canada numerous times within the validity period. However, one stay cannot exceed 6 months at a time.
Reasons to travel to Canada with eTA:
- Tourism: you can visit Canada with an eTA permit for tourism purposes, or to visit your friends and family.
- Business: closing a business deal is one click away with eTA. Any business meeting or attending a conference is available with eTA as well.
- Transit: when travelling through Canada by plane, you have to have an eTA as well.
A step-by-step guide for Japanese tourists to apply for an eTA Canada
Step 1: Fill in an online application form. You have to provide some basic information such as your name, surname, passport details, date of birth, marital status etc.
Step 2: You will be asked to pay the expenses for the travel authorization. You can use a credit/debit card or another method of payment that is available. Once your payment is approved you will immediately receive an e-mail with the confirmation number. You can use this number to check the status of your visa processing.
Step 3: Check your e-mail address. Within the next 72 hours you will receive an e-mail with eTA permit.
Note: the authorization is only approved for tourist or business purposes, and your trip cannot last more than 6 months. Although, you can keep the authorization for 5 years and make several trips in that period.
Requirements for Japanese citizens:
- a valid passport: passport validity has to exceed at least 6 months ahead of the trip.
- an active e-mail address: onto which eTA is sent
- a clean criminal record: non-serious offences do not count, e.g. you can still apply with a speeding ticket.
Please note that if your situation is unclear, you may have to send in some additional documents. That can elongate the processing time.
Top advantages for the Japanese to live in Canada
- For the youngest, the Canadian education system is in the top 10 worldwide. Your children will not only have a first-hand education, but they can also learn to master languages such as English and French.
- From the labor point of view, Canada offers excellent salaries regardless of the type of profession. So as a Japanese person, you can have a high standard of living at a relatively low cost.
- The public transport system is to envy. It has what is known as an integrated ticket, with a single ticket you can travel by bus, tram or subway. It is characterized by being the most organized and efficient service. With which you can travel with your pets or even a bicycle. Most importantly, Canadians have respect for people who travel in public transportation and there are no incidents related to harassment or robbery.
- Both the health system and the safety system are the most efficient worldwide. All emergencies are treated as quickly as possible and crime rates are incredibly low. There is no clear difference between clinics and hospitals, in both, you will be treated with the same quality since the health of a patient is respected.
The best Japanese places in Canada
Once your eTA Canada is approved you can visit places like the Japanese Canadian Cultural Center, located in Toronto.
Founded in 1963, this place gathers Japanese history, culture, and tradition. So that the Japanese community can keep the relationship with its origins even when they are outside of Japan.
As well in Toronto, you can enjoy the best Japanese cuisine, which preserves the traditional flavors of its country. The most famous Japanese restaurants in Canada are Miku, Ramen Isshin, and Kinka Izakaya Original.
All of that and so much more is waiting for you to discover it! Apply now for eTA and plan your journey.
Should you have any questions regarding the application process, do not hesitate to contact our support team at email@example.com.