Necessary documents

To apply and confirm your ETA you need to have:
  • Valid passport
  • Email address
  • The ability to make an online payment

You can only apply for one person at a time.

For example, for a family of three people who wish to travel together,the application form must be completed and submitted three separate times

Who doesn’t need an eTA:
You don’t need to apply for an eTA if you are:
  • a Canadian citizen or a dual Canadian citizen
  • a Canadian permanent resident, or
  • a U.S. citizen entering Canada by land or sea. (However, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. still need an eTA if traveling by air.)

After you receive your eTA:

Your eTA will be sent to the email address you provided on your application. Your eTA will be electronically linked to the passport used in the eTA application. You will need to present the passport you used to apply for your eTA to airline staff each time you board a flight to Canada.

Your eTA authorizes you to visit Canada for up to six months or until a date determined by a border services officer on your arrival to Canada. If you need to stay in Canada longer, you must apply to extend your stay.

Once you have an eTA, it will be valid for five years, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.