The Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization system (eTA) enables countries included in the visa exemption program to get the essential documentation without ever having to leave their homes. Eligible travelers can simply apply for an eTA online, 3 days before their departure to Canada.
The Canadian eTA authorizes multiple entries and remains valid for a period of 5 years or until traveler’s passport expires (whichever comes first). Each stay within the 5-year validity period can be as long as six months at a time.
You will need to complete a quick and intuitive, 3-step application process online using any working device with an internet connection, which can be easily done within a few minutes from home.
After your application gets approved, your eTA will be sent to the e-mail address provided in the application form. The eTA authorization is automatically and electronically assigned to your passport, so there is no need for you to print it out and carry it to the airport.
Make sure that you have the same passport used while applying to enter Canada for up to six months at a time!
Types of eTA
The Government of Canada has provided only one type of the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
Canadian eTA enables its holders to stay in the country for tourism, business, and transit- related purposes for up to six months at a time.
When do you need an eTA to Canada?
To know whether or not you will need an eTA to visit Canada, it’s necessary to answer a few questions before your visit to the country:
- Is your country of citizenship listed as eligible for eTA to Canada?
- Are you planning to enter Canada by air?
If you’ve answered yes to the above questions, you need to apply for an eTA before your departure.
Make sure to prepare a valid passport (that will not expire for at least 6 months from the planned arrival date), an active e-mail address, and any working device to complete the application process within minutes.
Please note! eTA is a mandatory document upon visiting Canada by air. While crossing one of the sea or land borders with Canada, no additional documentation apart from a valid passport is required.
Citizens of the below mentioned countries are entitled to apply for an eTA:
Additionally, citizens of the British Overseas Territories, who have acquired their nationality through birth, origin, naturalization or registering in one of the British Overseas Territories, can also apply for an eTA:
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
- Pitcairn Island
- Saint Helena
- Turks and Caicos Islands
* Additional requirements
Citizens of Brazil are also eligible to apply for an eTA, as long as one of the enlisted conditions is met:
- They held a Canadian visitor visa during the past 10 years
- They hold a valid nonimmigrant visa to the United States of America
If you meet one of the following conditions, you are entitled to apply online for an eTA to Canada:
- Being a passport or travel document holder issued by the Vatican;
- Holders of passports issued by Israel (national Israeli passport);
- Holders of passports issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (Hong Kong SAR);
- Holders of electronic passports issued by Romania. If an applicant holds a regular passport or temporary one, issued by Romania, a regular visa, issued by the closest Canadian Embassy is required.
- Holders of passports issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan, in which the personal identification number can be found. In case of being a holder of any other passport, the Taiwanese are obliged to acquire a regular visa at the closest Embassy;
- Holders of passports issued by the United Kingdom, with the nationality of British National (Overseas), noted in it;
- Holders of passports issued by the United Kingdom with the nationality of British Subject noted in it as long as the applicant has the right of abode.
All those who meet one of the criteria described above can acquire an eTA and travel with it via air only. In the event of an applicant intending on entering Canada through land or sea, a regular visa will be required.
ATTENTION! Those who have additional Canadian citizenship, cannot apply for an eTA in the case of entering the country territory through the air. In such a case, to be able to visit Canada, a valid Canadian passport will be required.