Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), to Canada

Check out if you need an eTA to travel to Canada

Canadian eTA is an electronic visa that authorizes you to enter Canada for the following purposes:

  • Tourism
  • Business
  • Transit

It is a multiple entry visa, that allows you to stay in Canada for a period of time not exceeding 6 months. The processing time can take up to 72 hours. An eTA is valid for up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. When you travel to Canada you will need to present the passport you used to apply for your eTA to the airline check-in staff. An eTA is linked to your passport. It is not a physical document - there is no need to print the confirmation and to carry it with yourself.


Citizens from these countries are eligible to apply for an online e-visa:

Australia Andorra Austria Belgium
Bahamas Barbados Brunei Darussalam Chile
Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark
Estonia Finland France Gibraltar
Germany Hungary Italy Israel
Iceland Japan Latvia Liechtenstein
Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Monaco
Norway Netherlands New Zealand Portugal
Papua New Guinea Poland Samoa San Marino
Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands
Spain Sweden Switzerland United Kingdom
Ireland Mexico Bulgaria Republic of Korea (South)
Greece Romania Brazil*

    * Brazilian citizens can apply for an eTA if they met one of the following condition:
  • being an US Permanent Resident (holding a Green card)
  • holding Canadian Visa in the past 10 years
  • currently holding US nonimmigrant visa

The exceptions are the lawful permanent residents of the United States, with a valid alien registration card (Green Card). An eTA is mandatory in cases of a transit through and travel to Canada by plane. If you are travelling via road or via sea, then you are exempted from making a visa application.

British overseas territory citizen who derives that citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:

  • Anguilla
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Falkland Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Montserrat
  • Pitcairn Island
  • Saint Helena
  • Turks and Caicos Islands

Other foreign nationals who need an eTA to travel to Canada

  • Persons who have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (United States Permanent Residents).
  • Holder of a passport or travel document issued by the Holy See.
  • Holder of a national Israeli passport.
  • Holder of a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
  • Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas), as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong.
  • Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British Subject which contains the observation that the holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom.
  • Holder of an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number of the individual. Note: Taiwanese citizens who hold a passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that does not include their personal identification number need a visa to come to Canada.

Important information for dual Canadian citizens traveling by air:
As a Canadian citizen you cannot apply for an eTA. Starting November 10, 2016 you will need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. See Dual Canadian citizens need a Canadian passport